Xyzal Dosage: An Introduction
The dose of Xyzal®
dihydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Xyzal Dosage for Adults and Older Children
The recommended dose of Xyzal for most adults and children who are at least 12 years old is Xyzal 5 mg once daily in the evening. Some people may find that a lower dose (Xyzal 2.5 mg once daily in the evening) is also effective. If you have kidney disease, you should consult your healthcare provider before taking Xyzal, as you may need a lower dosage.
Xyzal Dosage for Children
The recommended dose of Xyzal for children age 6 to 11 years old is Xyzal 2.5 mg (or half a tablet or one teaspoonful of liquid Xyzal) once daily in the evening.
General Information on Dosing With Xyzal
Considerations for people taking Xyzal include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet and liquid form. It is usually taken once a day in the evening.
- You can take Xyzal with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If necessary, the tablets may be broken in half.
- Try to take Xyzal at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Some people may need to take Xyzal all year long, while others take it only during allergy season.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Xyzal will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Xyzal dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.