Sudafed Overdose

As with any drug, it is possible to overdose on Sudafed (pseudoephedrine). Taking too much of this medication can result in symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, difficulty urinating, and headaches. An overdose can also lead to seizures or coma, so be sure to seek medical attention immediately if you think you may have overdosed on this medicine.

Can You Take Too Much Sudafed?

Sudafed® (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride) is a commonly used decongestant medication, often used for treating allergies or the common cold. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Sudafed. The specific effects of an overdose with Sudafed can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Sudafed dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
 
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on Sudafed.
 
(The information in this article applies to original Sudafed, now found behind the pharmacy counter. For information about the reformulated Sudafed products that do contain phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine, see Phenylephrine Overdose.)
 

Effects of a Sudafed Overdose

A Sudafed overdose may cause symptoms such as:
 
  • Giddiness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Sweating and thirst
  • Chest pain or heart palpitations
  • A rapid heart rate
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Shakiness (tremor)
  • Weak or tense muscles
  • Anxiety, restlessness, or insomnia
  • Hallucinations or delusions
  • An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
  • Seizures
  • Coma.
     
 
5 Tips to Keep a Cold at Bay

Sudafed Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2014 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.