Oxymetazoline Nasal Spray Overdose
For people who take too much oxymetazoline nasal spray, overdose symptoms can include vomiting, severe drowsiness, and coma. This type of overdose may be more likely to cause serious problems if the medication was taken by mouth, rather than used as a nasal spray. If you believe you have taken too much oxymetazoline nasal spray, seek immediate medical care.
Is It Possible to Overdose on Oxymetazoline Nasal Spray?Oxymetazoline nasal spray (Afrin®, Nostrilla®, Sudafed OM™, and many others) is a non-prescription nasal spray approved to treat nasal congestion due to various causes, such as allergies or the common cold. It is a decongestant medication. In some cases, taking too much oxymetazoline nasal spray could cause serious problems.
Effects of an Oxymetazoline Nasal Spray OverdoseAn overdose of oxymetazoline nasal spray may cause a wide variety of symptoms, such as:
- Severe drowsiness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low blood pressure or high blood pressure
- A slow heart rate
- Cold body temperature
- Pinpoint pupils
- Decreased breathing
- An irregular heart rhythm
An overdose may be more likely to cause serious problems if it was taken by mouth, which might happen accidentally with a young child or pet, rather than used as a nasal spray.
Treatment OptionsEven if the overdose with oxymetazoline nasal spray was taken by mouth, it is not usually recommended to induce vomiting or pump the stomach, as the medication is absorbed too quickly. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will include supportive care, which consists of treating any of the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, medications may be administered to increase the heart rate and blood pressure, if necessary.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on oxymetazoline nasal spray.