Allergies Home > Basic Information on Zyrtec
When and How to Take ItGeneral considerations for when and how to take Zyrtec include the following:
- The medication comes in several forms, including tablets, liquid-filled capsules, chewable tablets, and syrup. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take Zyrtec with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Some people need to take Zyrtec all year long, while others take it only during allergy season.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed on the package labeling. Please read the label closely.
Dosing InformationThe recommended dose of Zyrtec will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your symptoms
- Other medical conditions you may have.
Side Effects of ZyrtecAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Zyrtec. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Dry mouth (see Zyrtec and Dry Mouth).