Allergies Home > Zyrtec-D Dosage
The recommended Zyrtec-D dosage for adults and children age 12 and older is one tablet twice a day, taken about 12 hours apart. People with kidney or liver disease may need to take a lower dose. Be sure to talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist if you are unsure about anything related to your dose or Zyrtec-D dosing in general.
Zyrtec-D Dosage: An IntroductionThere is only one recommended dose of Zyrtec-D® (cetirizine and pseudoephedrine). As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Zyrtec-D Dosage for Adults and Older ChildrenThe recommended dose of Zyrtec-D for most adults and children age 12 and over is one Zyrtec-D 12 Hour tablet twice daily, with about 12 hours between doses.
Check with your healthcare provider before taking Zyrtec-D if you have liver or kidney disease, as your body may not handle the medication as well as normal, and a lower Zyrtec-D dose may be recommended.
The label of Zyrtec-D recommends that people age 65 and older check with their healthcare providers before taking the drug in order to determine the best dose. It is common for liver and kidney function to decline with age, and a lower Zyrtec dosage may be recommended. Also, older individuals may be more sensitive to the side effects of Zyrtec-D.
General Information on Your Zyrtec-D DosageConsiderations for people taking Zyrtec-D include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth twice a day, with about 12 hours in between doses.
- Be sure to swallow the tablets whole. They are extended-release, and will release the medication too rapidly if they are broken, chewed, or crushed.
- You can take Zyrtec-D with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Some people need to take Zyrtec-D all year long, while others take it only during allergy season.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed by the package labeling. Please read the label closely.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Zyrtec-D dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.