Allergies Home > Rhinocort Aqua Dosage
For most adults and children over the age of six who are starting Rhinocort Aqua, dosing recommendations start at one spray in each nostril a day. Dosing for children 6 to 11 years old should not exceed two sprays per nostril a day. The maximum Rhinocort Aqua dosage for adults and children over age 12 is four sprays in each nostril a day.
The dose of Rhinocort Aqua® (budesonide nasal spray) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- How you respond to Rhinocort Aqua
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Rhinocort Aqua Dosage for Nasal AllergiesThe recommended starting dose of Rhinocort Aqua for treating nasal allergies in adults and children six years and older is one spray in each nostril once daily (two sprays total). Your healthcare provider may adjust your dose as necessary. The maximum dose for adults and children age 12 and older is four sprays of Rhinocort Aqua in each nostril once daily (eight sprays total). For children ages 6 to 11, the maximum dose is two sprays per nostril once daily.
Considerations for people taking Rhinocort Aqua include the following:
- Rhinocort Aqua comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is usually taken once a day.
- Be sure to shake the bottle well before each use.
- Blow your nose before each Rhinocort Aqua dose. Breathe in gently while spraying the medicine into your nose. Do not try to inhale the spray or breathe in too deeply, as the drug works when it comes in contact with the inside surfaces of the nose (not the throat or lungs).
- Avoid aiming the spray toward the wall that separates your nostrils (in the middle of your nose, called the nasal septum). Spraying Rhinocort Aqua toward the nasal septum increases the risk of nosebleeds. Some people find it easiest to avoid this by holding the bottle in the opposite hand (using the right hand to spray into the left nostril and vice versa).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Rhinocort Aqua will not work if you stop taking it.