Allergies Home > House Dust Allergy
House dust allergy is typically caused by numerous common particles found in the home. It isn't just dirt, but a combination of materials that can cause allergies, such as mold spores, pollen, and dust mites. A few methods to help reduce house dust allergy include: dusting rooms weekly; wearing a mask while cleaning; and reducing the number of stuffed animals, dried flowers, and wicker baskets around the house.
House dust is a component of who you are. House dust is not just dirt, but a mixture of potentially allergenic materials, such as:
- Food particles
- Mold spores
- Dust mites
- Plant and insect parts
- Hair, animal fur, and feathers
- Dried saliva and urine from pets
- Flakes of human and animal skin.
The more time you spend indoors, particularly in the fall and winter, the greater your exposure to house dust allergens.
Some preventative strategies for dealing with a house dust allergy include:
- Dust rooms thoroughly with a damp cloth at least once a week. Wear protective gloves and a dust mask while cleaning to reduce exposure to dust and cleaning irritants.
- Use electric and hot water radiant heaters to provide a cleaner source of heat than "blown air" systems.
- Reduce the number of stuffed animals, wicker baskets, dried flowers, and other dust collectors around the house.
- Replace heavy drapes and blinds with washable curtains or shades.
- Replace carpets with washable scatter rugs or bare floors (wood, tile, or linoleum).