Allergies Home > What Is Goldenseal Used For?
Many people may have heard of the herbal supplement goldenseal, but they don't really know what it's used for. The supplement is claimed to be useful for a variety of different purposes, including the treatment of the following conditions:
- The common cold or allergies (such as hay fever)
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Stomach or intestinal ulcers
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Vaginal irritation or infection
- Excessive menstrual bleeding or painful menstrual periods
- Hemorrhoids or anal fissures
- Liver problems
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Pneumonia, malaria, or other infections
- Excessive bleeding after childbirth
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Cold sores.
Goldenseal contains a variety of different active compounds, such as berberine, canadaline, canadine, and hydrastine. It is thought that these compounds probably are responsible for most of the medicinal properties of the plant. There is some concern that the active compounds are too poorly absorbed to have significant medicinal effects when the herb is taken by mouth.
There is little evidence that goldenseal is actually beneficial for any of the claimed uses mentioned above.
(Click Goldenseal Benefits for more information about claimed uses of goldenseal and to find out if this supplement is beneficial for children.)