Allergies Home > Side Effects of Goldenseal
Nausea and vomiting are some of the bothersome but usually not serious side effects of goldenseal. Potentially serious side effects that should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately include hives or a rash (signs of an allergic reaction) and fever or yellow skin (signs of kernicterus). Serious side effects are not likely to occur with short-term use of the supplement.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as:
- A rash
- Swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue, or throat
- Wheezing or other difficulty breathing.
- Signs of kernicterus (brain damage due to severe jaundice) in a newborn, including:
- Yellow skin
- Increased or decreased muscle tone
- Severe drowsiness and lethargy (much more than normal newborn sleepiness)
- A high pitched cry
- Arched back.