Allergies Home > Serious Reactions to Elestat
Some side effects with Elestat, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Signs of an eye infection, such as:
- Severe redness or eye pain
- Crusting of the eye
- Swollen eyelids
- Signs of an allergic reaction to the medication, such as:
- An unexplained rash or hives
- Itching (more than the usual itching related to eye allergies)
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing.
Of course, any eye drop can cause problems (such as an eye infection) if it is contaminated, so be sure to avoid touching the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
You may experience some or none of the Elestat side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.