Allergies Home > Claritin-D and Insomnia
There are many possible side effects of Claritin-D, and insomnia appears to be one of the most common. In clinical trials, up to 16 percent of people experienced insomnia while taking Claritin-D 12 Hour tablets. If you are taking Claritin-D and insomnia occurs, you can either try switching to regular Claritin or improving your sleep habits.
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Non-refreshing sleep.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.