Allergies Home > Clarinex and Dry Mouth
Dry mouth is a common Clarinex side effect, affecting up to 3 percent of people who take Clarinex. And dry mouth appears to affect adults more than children. There are several simple home remedies for dry mouth, including using a humidifier at night; sipping water or sugarless drinks often; and avoiding caffeinated drinks, tobacco, alcohol, and spicy or salty foods.
Clarinex and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the most common side effects with Clarinex® (desloratadine). Up to 3 percent of people taking Clarinex experience a dry mouth. In clinical studies, a dry mouth appeared to be more common in adults than in children.
Clarinex and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsThere are things that people taking Clarinex can do to help deal with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware of spicy or salty foods that may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon or mint-flavored candies are good choices.