Allergies Home > Astelin Overdose
An Astelin overdose is not likely to cause serious problems in adults. However, when large doses of the drug were given to animals in clinical studies, decreased muscle tone, salivation, seizures, and loss of life occurred. Treatment for an Astelin overdose may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Astelin® (azelastine hydrochloride) is a medication approved to treat nasal allergies (known as allergic rhinitis) and nasal symptoms due to irritants (known as vasomotor rhinitis). It is part of a group of medications known as antihistamines. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Astelin. The specific effects of an Astelin overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Astelin dosage and whether it was taken with other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs.
It is not known exactly what to expect from an Astelin overdose. Taking an entire bottle of Astelin all at once is unlikely to cause serious problems in adults. In animal studies, very large doses (equivalent to 460 times the maximum Astelin dosage in humans) caused the following effects:
- Decreased muscle tone
- Loss of life.
Because Astelin is an antihistamine and can cause drowsiness, serious problems are most likely to occur if other medications or substances that also cause drowsiness are taken at the same time.
Given that there have been no reported cases of Astelin overdose, it is not known what the best treatment is. Treatment may include supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Astelin.