Allergies Home > Giving Allegra to Children and Basic Guidelines
General Information on Taking Allegra
- Allegra comes in the form of tablets, orally disintegrating tablets (ODTs), and oral suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth, usually once or twice daily.
- Allegra orally disintegrating tablets rapidly dissolve on the tongue. Be sure to swallow (either with or without water) after the tablet has dissolved.
- Be sure to shake Allegra oral suspension well just before each dose.
- For Allegra tablets and oral suspension, it does not matter if you take it with or without food. However, Allegra orally disintegrating tablets should be taken on an empty stomach.
- It is best to take Allegra with water. Taking it with fruit juice may decrease the absorption of the drug, perhaps making it less effective.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your Allegra dose at one time.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Allegra or your Allegra dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.