Allergies Home > Alaway Warnings and Precautions
Before starting treatment, there are a number of warnings and precautions with Alaway to be aware of. You should learn exactly how to use the eye drop if you wear contact lenses, and also learn how to prevent contamination. It is not known whether Alaway affects pregnancy or breastfeeding, so you should talk to your healthcare provider before using this drug if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Have any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives
- Are breastfeeding
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant.
- Do not use this product if the solution becomes cloudy or changes color.
- Do not use this product to treat contact lens irritation.
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- If you wear contact lenses, you must remove them to use the drops. In order to prevent the lens from absorbing the preservative in the medication, be sure to wait 10 minutes after using the drops before reinserting the lens. Do not wear your contact lenses if your eye is still red.
- This medication is only for use as an eye drop. It should not be taken by mouth or by injection.
- It is unknown if Alaway passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start breastfeeding, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Alaway and Breastfeeding).
- Alaway is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it might be unsafe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not currently known (see Alaway and Pregnancy).