Allergies Home > Alaway Overdose
An overdose of Alaway is unlikely to cause serious complications. Since the medication comes in the form of an eye drop, very little of it actually reaches the bloodstream. Even if it is taken orally, serious problems are unlikely because an entire bottle of Alaway only contains 1.725 mg of the medicine. Treatment for an overdose, if necessary, may involve supportive care.
Alaway® (ketotifen ophthalmic solution) is a non-prescription eye drop approved to treat eye allergies. It belongs to a group of allergy medications known as antihistamines. An Alaway overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, for a few different reasons.
If a person uses too much Alaway as an eye drop, overdose symptoms are unlikely to occur, since very little of the medication actually reaches the bloodstream. Even if the medication was accidentally taken by mouth (as might occur with a child or a pet), serious problems would probably not result. An entire bottle of Alaway contains only 1.725 mg of the medication. In studies, no problems were seen when higher doses (such as 20 mg) were taken by mouth.
Given that there have been no reported cases of overdose, it is not known how to best treat an overdose with this medication. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will involve supportive care, which consists of treating any of the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Alaway.