Karbinal ER Dosage
With Karbinal ER, dosage recommendations are based on your age, weight, and the severity of your symptoms, among other factors. This medicine comes as an oral suspension (liquid) that is taken twice daily. Make sure to use an accurately marked measuring device to take this medicine.
An Introduction to Dosing With Karbinal ER
The dose of Karbinal™ ER (carbinoxamine extended-release oral suspension) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on several factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight
- The severity of your symptoms
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Karbinal ER Dosage?
The standard recommended dosage for treating allergies in adults and children 12 years of age and older is between 6 mg and 16 mg (7.5 mL to 20 mL) every 12 hours.
For children younger than 12 years old, the standard recommended dose is about 0.2 mg to 0.4 mg per kg body weight each day (0.09 to 0.18 mg per lb). This will usually be equal to the following guidelines:
- For children 2 to 3 years old, the recommended dosage is 3 mg to 4 mg (3.75 mL to 5 mL) every 12 hours
- For children 4 to 5 years old, the recommended dosage is 3 mg to 8 mg (3.75 mL to 10 mL) every 12 hours
- For children 6 to 11 years old, the recommended dosage is 6 mg to 12 mg (7.5 mL to 15 mL) every 12 hours.
Karbinal ER should not be used in children younger than two years old.
Because higher doses are more likely to cause side effects, it is recommended that most people start at the lower end of the dosing range. The dose can then be increased if the medication is tolerated and if higher doses are needed to adequately control symptoms.