There are a number of possible benefits of goldenseal. The supplement is believed to be beneficial for the treatment of allergies, urinary tract infections, and stomach or intestinal ulcers. It is also believed to be helpful for masking illicit substances on a urine drug test. However, it is important to know that much more research is needed to confirm these claimed benefits.
When used as an herbal supplement, goldenseal is claimed to be useful for a variety of different purposes. Some of the supposed benefits of this supplement include (but are not limited to):
- Masking illicit substances on a urine drug test ("beating" a drug test)
- Treating the following conditions:
- The common cold or allergies (such as hay fever)
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Stomach or intestinal ulcers
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Vaginal irritation or infection
- Excessive menstrual bleeding or painful menstrual periods
- Hemorrhoids or anal fissures
- Liver problems
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Pneumonia, malaria, or other infections
- Excessive bleeding after childbirth
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Cold sores.
There is little evidence that goldenseal is actually beneficial for any of these claimed uses (see Does Goldenseal Work?).