Goldenseal and Allergies
Goldenseal is an herbal supplement claimed to be beneficial for masking illicit substances during urine drug testing. Many people have also heard of a link between allergies and goldenseal. The supplement is also claimed to be useful for treating the following conditions:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Common cold
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Excessive bleeding after childbirth
- Excessive menstrual bleeding or painful menstrual periods
- Hemorrhoids or anal fissures
- Liver problems
- Pneumonia, malaria, or other infections
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Stomach or intestinal ulcers
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Vaginal irritation or infection.
There is no strong scientific evidence that goldenseal really works for any of the uses listed in this article. Studies suggest that one of the compounds in goldenseal (berberine) may possibly be effective for a few different uses. However, it cannot be assumed that goldenseal (which has many different active compounds that likely have many different, perhaps even opposing effects) has the same medicinal properties as berberine.
(Click Does Goldenseal Work? for more information about using this supplement for allergies, to learn about how this product works, and to find out if it is also beneficial for children.)