Does Goldenseal Work?
Goldenseal supplements are claimed to be beneficial for numerous conditions, but does goldenseal actually work? The supplement is believed to be useful for masking illicit substances during urine drug testing and for treating allergies, acne, and various other conditions. However, there is little high-quality evidence to show that it really works for these (and other) uses.
As with most dietary supplements, goldenseal is claimed to work for a variety of different uses. Does it really work, though? This article will address the effectiveness of goldenseal for various uses, including:
- Masking illicit substances on a urine drug test ("beating" a drug test)
- Treating the following conditions:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Common cold or allergies (such as hay fever)
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Excessive bleeding after childbirth
- Excessive menstrual bleeding or painful menstrual periods
- Hemorrhoids or anal fissures
- Liver problems
- Pneumonia, malaria, or other infections
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Stomach or intestinal ulcers
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Vaginal irritation or infection.