It is not exactly clear what to expect if someone overdoses on Dymista (azelastine/fluticasone nasal spray). If someone uses too much of this medication for long periods, it may decrease the body's ability to produce natural steroids. Also, if a child uses too much, it may lead to dangerous problems.
Can You Use Too Much Dymista?Dymista™ (azelastine/fluticasone nasal spray) is a medication approved to treat seasonal nasal allergies. It contains a steroid (fluticasone) and an antihistamine (azelastine). As with most medicines, it is possible to overdose on Dymista.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Dymista dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseDymista contains two different active ingredients, which would likely have different effects in the event of an overdose.
It is not known exactly what to expect from an overdose with fluticasone (a steroid). It appears that a short-term overdose is unlikely to be dangerous. In studies, large doses of fluticasone did not cause any problems other than the usual expected side effects. These large doses were much higher than using an entire bottle of Dymista all at once.
However, taking large doses of fluticasone, or any other steroid, for long periods of time may cause serious problems. Chronic large doses may decrease the body's ability to produce natural steroids. This can cause serious problems, especially if the steroid is stopped too quickly and the body does not have a chance to begin making natural steroids again. If you realize you have been using too much Dymista, you should not stop using it too quickly.
It is not known what exactly to expect from an overdose of azelastine, the other component. Taking an entire bottle, or even several bottles, of azelastine all at once is unlikely to cause serious or long-lasting problems in adults. Because azelastine is an antihistamine and can cause drowsiness, serious problems are more likely if other medications or substances that also cause drowsiness are taken at the same time. Overdoses of antihistamine taken by mouth in children can be dangerous, so make sure to keep this product out of the reach of children.