In the few reported cases in which people took too much Claritin-D, overdose symptoms included nausea or vomiting, rapid heart rate, and drowsiness. The most serious effects of an overdose appear to be caused by the pseudoephedrine component of the medication. There are various treatment options available for a Claritin-D overdose, including certain medicines, "pumping the stomach," and supportive care.
Claritin-D® (loratadine and pseudoephedrine sulfate) is a medication approved to treat allergies and nasal congestion due to the common cold. It contains two separate medications: pseudoephedrine (a nasal decongestant) and loratadine (a non-sedating antihistamine). As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Claritin-D, although an overdose is unlikely. The specific effects of a Claritin-D overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Claritin-D dosage and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
Based on the Claritin-D overdose cases that have been reported, the following symptoms are possible:
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feelings of a forcefully or rapidly beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Muscle weakness or tension
- Restlessness or insomnia
- Delusions, hallucinations, or psychotic behavior
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
The most serious effects of a Claritin-D overdose appear to be caused by the pseudoephedrine component of the drug. Pseudoephedrine can have stimulatory effects (particularly on the heart and blood pressure), especially when too much is taken.