There are currently many different generic Benadryl products that are licensed for sale. Over-the-counter products include 25 mg tablets, 25 mg capsules, 2% cream, and 2% spray. Some prescription versions of the medication (injection, elixir, and 25 or 50 mg capsules) are also available in generic form. The generic versions of Benadryl are manufactured by various companies, including Major Pharmaceuticals, Eon Labs, Inc., and UDL Laboratories, Inc.
Is a Generic Version of Benadryl Available?
Benadryl® (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is an antihistamine medication often used for allergy treatment (although it is also used for other purposes as well). It belongs to a group of allergy medications known as H1 blockers.
Brand-name Benadryl is made by McNeil Consumer Healthcare. Many (but not all) forms of Benadryl are available in generic form.
Forms of Generic Benadryl
The following generic Benadryl medications are currently available:
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 25 mg tablets
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 25 mg capsules
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride elixir (12.5 mg per teaspoonful)
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2% cream
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2% spray.
Prescription versions of Benadryl (injection, elixir, and 25 or 50 mg capsules) are also available in generic form.
The following Benadryl medications are not available in generic form:
- Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liqui-Gels® (25 mg)
- Benadryl Allergy Quick Dissolve Strips (25 mg)
- Children's Benadryl Perfect Measure™ pre-filled single use spoons (12.5 mg)
- Children's Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid (12.5 mg per teaspoonful)
- Regular Strength Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream (1%)
- Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Stick (2%)
- Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel Extra Strength (2%).
Children's Benadryl Allergy Chewables and Benadryl Allergy Children's Quick Dissolve Strips were once available but have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Generic versions of these products are not available.