Benadryl® (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is an antihistamine product approved for treating various conditions, including allergies, insomnia, common cold symptoms, and Parkinson's disease. There are many different forms of Benadryl (oral, topical, and injectable forms); some are available by prescription only, while others can be found over the counter.
Oral Benadryl products for adults include:
- Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liqui-Gels® (25 mg)
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratab® (25 mg)
- Benadryl Allergy Quick Dissolve Strips (25 mg)
- Benadryl Allergy Kapseals® capsules (25 mg).
Children's products include:
- Children's Benadryl Perfect Measure™ pre-filled single use spoons (12.5 mg)
- Children's Benadryl Allergy Liquid (12.5 mg per teaspoonful)
- Children's Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy Liquid (12.5 mg per teaspoonful).
Prescription-only Benadryl oral products include:
- Benadryl 25 and 50 mg capsules (available only in generic form)
- Benadryl elixir (12.5 mg per teaspoonful, available only in generic form).
(Click Benadryl for a list of the topical and injectable forms available for this medication, for information on how Benadryl works for various conditions, and to find out what you should discuss with your healthcare provider before using this drug.)