Benadryl® (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is an antihistamine medication that comes in various forms and is available both by prescription and over the counter. It is approved for a number of uses, depending on the particular product, including the treatment of allergy symptoms, insomnia, and dermatographism (a severe form of hives).
Benadryl comes in oral, injectable, and topical forms. Benadryl cream, spray, and gel are available by the following names:
- Extra Strength Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream (2%)
- Regular Strength Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream (1%)
- Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Stick (2%)
- Benadryl Extra Strength Spray (2%)
- Benadryl Itch Stopping Gel Extra Strength (2%).
(Click Benadryl for more information on Benadryl cream, to find out how this medication works for various uses, and to learn about the warnings and precautions associated with this product.)