As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Astepro. The effects of an overdose will vary from person to person, depending on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Taking an entire bottle of Astepro is unlikely to cause serious or long-lasting problems in adults. If necessary, treatment for an overdose of Astepro will involve supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Astepro?
Astepro™ (azelastine hydrochloride) is a medication approved to treat seasonal or year-round nasal allergies (known as allergic rhinitis). It is part of a group of medications known as antihistamines. As with all medicines, it is probably possible to overdose on Astepro. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Astepro dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs.
Astepro Overdose Symptoms
It is not known exactly what to expect from an overdose of Astepro. Taking an entire bottle (or even several entire bottles) of Astepro all at once is unlikely to cause serious or long-lasting problems in adults. In animal studies, very large Astepro doses (equivalent to 460 times the maximum Astepro dosage in humans) caused the following effects:
- Decreased muscle tone
- Loss of life.
Because Astepro is an antihistamine and can cause drowsiness, serious problems are most likely to occur if other medications or substances that also cause drowsiness are taken at the same time.
Treatment for an Astepro Overdose
Given that there have been no reported overdose cases, it is not known how to best treat an Astepro overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will include supportive care, which consists of treating any of the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. There is no specific antidote for an overdose with this medication.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Astepro.