For adults and children age 12 and older who are treating nasal allergies with Astelin, dosage recommendations generally start at one or two sprays in each nostril twice daily. Younger children who are at least five years old typically use one spray in each nostril twice daily. The recommended Astelin dosage for the treatment of vasomotor rhinitis is two sprays in each nostril twice daily.
The dose of Astelin® (azelastine hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Whether your nasal symptoms are caused by allergies or irritants
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Astelin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Astelin Dosage for Nasal AllergiesThe recommended dose of Astelin for treating nasal allergies (known as allergic rhinitis) in adults and children age 12 and older is one or two sprays in each nostril twice daily. For children ages 5 to 11, the recommended dose is one spray of Astelin in each nostril twice daily.
Astelin Dosage for Nasal IrritationThe recommended dose of Astelin for treating nasal symptoms that are due to irritants (known as vasomotor rhinitis) in adults and children age 12 and older is two sprays in each nostril twice daily.
Considerations for people taking Astelin include the following:
- Astelin comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is usually taken twice a day.
- The first time you use each bottle of Astelin, you will need to prime the pump by spraying until a fine mist appears. If you have not used the bottle within the last three days, you may have to re-prime the pump.
- Blow your nose before each dose. Breathe in gently while spraying the medicine into your nose. Do not try to inhale the spray or breathe in too deeply, as Astelin works when it comes into contact with the inside surfaces of the nose, not the throat or lungs.
- Do not tip your head back immediately after taking Astelin, as this increases the chance of experiencing a bitter taste.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Astelin will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Astelin dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.