Important Instructions for Allegra
General considerations for when and how to take Allegra include the following:
- Allegra comes in the form of tablets, orally disintegrating tablets (ODTs), and oral suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth, usually once or twice daily.
- Allegra orally disintegrating tablets rapidly dissolve on the tongue. Be sure to swallow (either with or without water) after the tablet has dissolved.
- Be sure to shake Allegra oral suspension well just before each dose.
- For Allegra tablets and oral suspension, it does not matter if you take it with or without food. However, Allegra orally disintegrating tablets should be taken on an empty stomach.
- It is best to take Allegra with water. Taking it with fruit juice may decrease the absorption of the drug, perhaps making it less effective.
- Your Allegra dosage can be taken with or without food. Swallow the capsules or tablets with a drink of water.
- Your Allegra medication can be taken at any time during the day. However, it should be taken at the same time each day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
Allegra DosingThe recommended dose of Allegra will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The severity of your symptoms
- Other medical conditions you have
- Other medication you are taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose without specific instructions from your healthcare provider.
(Click Allegra Dosage for more information about dosing for Allegra in both adults and children.)