Important Instructions for Alaway Eye Drops
General considerations include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop. It is used in each affected eye twice a day, with 8 to 12 hours between doses.
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- If you wear contact lenses, you must remove them to use the drops. In order to prevent the lens from absorbing the preservatives in the medication, be sure to wait at least 10 minutes after using the drops before reinserting the lens. Do not wear your contact lenses if your eye is still red.
- Be sure to put the cap back on after each dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed.
There is only one standard recommended dosage for this product, regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Alaway Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, Alaway can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience bothersome side effects. Some people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Possible side effects of Alaway include, but are not limited to:
- Red eyes
- Stuffy or runny nose.
(Click Alaway Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)