Generic Actifed

The patents for the active ingredient in Actifed have expired, and several versions of generic Actifed are available. Various manufacturers sell them -- typically under "store-brand" names. Although brand-name original Actifed is no longer available, due to regulations on pseudoephedrine products, generic versions of the original Actifed are available.

Is Generic Actifed Available?

Actifed® Cold & Allergy (chlorpheniramine maleate and phenylephrine hydrochloride) is a non-prescription medication used for treating symptoms of the common cold and allergies (such as hay fever). It contains an antihistamine (chlorpheniramine) and a decongestant (phenylephrine).
Brand-name Actifed is made by McNeil Consumer Healthcare. The patents for the active ingredient of Actifed have long expired, and the medication is available in generic form. Generic versions are sold by various manufacturers and under several different names (usually "store-brand" names).

Generic Original Actifed

The version of Actifed currently available in the United States is different from original Actifed, which contained triprolidine, instead of chlorpheniramine, and pseudoephedrine, instead of phenylephrine. This change was made in response to new regulations that required pseudoephedrine to be sold behind the pharmacy counter. Some people who were accustomed to the original version feel that the new, reformulated version is not as effective.
While brand-name original Actifed is no longer sold in the United States, generic versions of Actifed are still available. Just look for products containing 2.5 mg of triprolidine hydrochloride and 60 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride.
5 Tips to Keep a Cold at Bay

Actifed Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.